Keep in touch with UGASports.com
Georgia baseball coach Scott Stricklin announced Tuesday that 12 student-athletes recently signed with Georgia and will join the Bulldog baseball program in the fall of 2014.
"We are thrilled to announce our first signing class here at the University of Georgia," Stricklin said. "Scott Daeley and Fred Corral did an outstanding job evaluating these great student-athletes, and we are looking forward to having them on campus very soon. The future is very bright here in Athens, and we feel like we have a lot of momentum to go along with this great recruiting class."
Georgia's latest additions consist of seven position players, four pitchers and one two-way talent, all from high schools in the state of Georgia.
Spencer Adams (6-5, 180, R-R, RHP, Cleveland, Ga.) - Attends White County High School where he plays for John Brown… Rated No. 21 on Baseball America Top 100 High School prospects…Ranked No. 67 according toPerfect Game Top 100 Prospects in the Class of 2014…A Perfect Game/USA Baseball First Team preseason All-American…Posted a 5-4 record, 1.89 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 48.1 innings pitched for the Warriors as a junior…Also has seen action at shortstop and batted .367 with four home runs and 19 RBI as a junior…Team went 16-11…Named First Team All-Region as a pitcher and second team All-Region as a shortstop…Also a three-year letterman in football and four years in basketball…Earned Scholar-Athlete Award…Member of Team Elite summer league team that won the Metropolitan Baseball Classic at Citi Field in New York, combined on a one-hit shutout in the championship game…Son of Bradley and Joanna Adams.
• Stricklin on Adams: "Spencer has a big time arm with a fastball that can get into the low to mid 90's. He also has a swing and miss slider that is as good as we've seen. He is a great athlete that has a lot of upside. He will have a great opportunity to make an immediate impact on our pitching staff."
Ryan Avidano (6-7, 225, L-L, LHP, Peachtree City, Ga.) - Attends Starr's Mill High School where he plays for Brent Moseley…Posted a 9-0 record with a 1.37 ERA, 84 strikeouts in 66.2 innings pitched, all team bests as a junior for the Panthers…Team went 30-6, captured the Region 4-AAAAA title and advanced to the state semifinals…Also batted .321-1-10 as a first baseman and named Defensive Player of the Year…Also a three-year letterman in basketball, member of the Math team and earned three Academic letters…Member of the ABA Braves and Evoshield Canes summer league teams…Part of 2013 WWBA World Championship squad with the Canes and named Most Valuable Pitcher at the event plus team won the Perfect Game World Series and made the All-Tournament team…Son of Mike and Karen Avidano.
• Stricklin on Avidano: "Ryan is a big and physical left handed pitcher that can shut down opposing hitters. His fastball will creep into the low 90's, and he has a lot of pitchabilty. He has all the tools to be a frontline starter in the SEC and has a bright future ahead of him."
Slade Dale (5-10, 180, R-R, SS, Ringgold, Ga.) - Attends Ringgold High School where he plays for Brent Tucker…Batted .417 with seven home runs, 28 RBI and 12 stolen bases for the Tigers as a junior…Team went 19-11…Named a 2013 preseason All-American by Louisville Slugger…Named Chattanooga Free Press All-Star and All-Region in 5-AAA…Also earned All-Region and All-State honors in football…Member of East Cobb Astros summer league team that won multiple titles…Son of Robert Dale and Kim Tran.
• Stricklin on Dale: "Slade can flat out play baseball. He's the guy you see diving all over the field and is covered in dirt when the game is over. He has very good instincts at the plate and on the bases. He will also go down as one of the best football players to ever play at Ringgold High School."
Josh Day (6-1, 185, R-R, C, Valdosta, Ga.) Attends Lowndes High School where he plays for Danny Redshaw…Batted .327 with three home runs and 31 RBI for the Vikings as a junior…Started all 33 games as team went 22-11 and advanced to the elite eight of the state playoffs…Earned team's Offensive Award…Member of Junior Team Georgia and Chain Baseball Academy in summer league action…Son of David and Randi Day.
• Stricklin on Day: "Josh is a very athletic catcher that can swing the bat and possesses great catch and throw skills. He is a great leader and a hard worker that we expect to come in play early on as a freshman."
Max Ford (6-2, 190, R-R, SS, Braselton, Ga.) - Attends Jefferson High School where he plays for Tommy Knight…Batted .390 with team-high 36 RBI plus went 7-0 with a 0.54 ERA and 39 strikeouts in 41 innings pitched for the Dragons as a junior…Team went 26-4 and advanced to the second round of the state playoffs…Named Defensive MVP and All-Region as a junior…Played for Team Georgia as well as Southeast Baseball Giants in summer league action…Member of Beta Club…Son of Bill and Jill Ford.
• Stricklin on Ford: "Max is a middle infielder that showed us a lot of athletic ability and upside over the summer. He is a true shortstop that can also play at third base and second base. He has a projectable, athletic build that will allow him to get bigger and stronger while he is here at UGA."
Michael Gettys (6-2, 220, R-R, OF/RHP, Gainesville, Ga.) - Attends Gainesville High School where he plays for Jeremy Kemp…Nation's top-rated prep player according to Perfect Game Top Prospects in the Class of 2014, No. 13 among top 50 prospects for the 2014 MLB draft by Baseball America and No. 15 on Baseball America Top 100 High School prospects…A Perfect Game/USA Baseball First Team preseason All-American…Batted .420 with five home runs and 37 RBI plus went 10-1 on the mound with a 0.77 ERA and 114 strikeouts in 77 innings pitched for the Red Elephants as a junior…Team went 28-5 and ranked as high as No. 6 in the Baseball America High School Top 25 last year…Also lettered in basketball…Set aPerfect Game National Showcase event record when he threw 100 MPH from right field to home plate this past June…Participated in Perfect Game All-American Classic and Under Armour All-American game…Member of East Cobb, Team Elite and Tiger Baseball summer league teams…Son of Mark and Stacy Gettys.
• Stricklin on Gettys: "Michael may be one of the best high school athletes in the country. He is a true, two-way player that can run balls down in the outfield and throw in the mid-90's off the mound. He has big time bat speed and can also run with the very best. There are very few 5-tool players out there and Michael is one of them."
Blake Hamilton (6-4, 210, R-R, RHP, Ringgold, Ga.) - Attends Heritage High School where he plays for Eric Beagles…Posted a 7-1 mark with 30 strikeouts in 52 innings pitched for the Generals as a junior…Also lettered in football and basketball…Member of East Cobb Astros summer league team and earned MVP honors…Part of Astros team that won multiple titles…Son of Doug and Carolee Hamilton.
• Stricklin on Hamilton: "Blake can really pitch and gets a lot of ground balls with his two-seam fastball. He works efficiently and throws a lot of strikes. As he continues to get stronger, his velocity will continue to get better and he will become a big contributor for us."
Trey Logan (5-8, 155, R-R, SS, Suwanee, Ga.) - Attends Lambert High School where he plays for Jamie Corr…Batted .292 in region action for the Longhorns as a junior…Team finished runner-up in Region 6-A and advanced to the round of 16 of the state playoffs…Two-time recipient of the team's Gold Glove Award as the defensive MVP…Named All-County Honorable Mention…A National Merit semifinalist and AP scholar…Also played basketball in 2012-13….Member of Team Georgia Baseball Academy (TGBA) in the summer and batted .361 with a .458 on-base percentage and 15 stolen bases in 47 games in 2013…2012 TGBA claimed the WWBA 16u national title…Son of Clark and Helen Logan.
• Stricklin on Logan: "Trey is a very reliable middle infielder that can make all the plays defensively. There is not a play he cannot make at shortstop and every team needs a consistent defender in the middle of the diamond. He is a tremendous worker and will be a big part of our program."
Keegan McGovern (6-3, 200, L-R, SS, Willacoochee, Ga.) - Attends Coffee High School where he plays for Josh Cole…Batted a team-best .360 with five home runs and 24 RBI for the Trojans as a junior…Team went 16-12...Named team MVP…Also played football…A Georgia Merit Scholar and owns highest GPA…Member of Roundtrip summer league team…Son of Kevin and Caroline McGovern.
• Stricklin on McGovern: "Keegan is a great athlete and is very versatile. He plays shortstop in high school but can play just about anywhere. He is a very physical player that has a lot of upside. He was also recruited to be a Division I quarterback."
Logan Moseley (6-0, 175, R-R, SS, Hoschton, Ga.) - Attends Mill Creek High School where he plays for Doug Jones…Batted .396 with a team-best seven home runs and 22 RBI plus had three saves for the Hawks as a junior…Team went 22-10 and won third straight region title...Also played basketball and ran cross country…Named Region 7-A Player of the Year, Gwinnett Daily PostFirst Team All-County and to Team Georgia…Earned Scholar-Athlete awards, member of Spanish Honor Society and Lead Math tutor…Member of Team Elite summer league team…Son of Brad and Stephani Moseley.
• Stricklin on Moseley: "Logan is a just a great baseball player. He can play anywhere on the field and plays the game with great passion. He has power to all fields and rarely swings and misses. He is also a great leader that will push others to achieve at his level."
Henry Rowling (5-11, 200, L-R, C, Marietta, Ga.) - Attends Walton High School where he plays for Shane Amos…Batted .373 with a team-leading 13 home runs and 38 RBI for the Raiders as a junior…Team went 26-11 and advanced to the 6-A state semifinals…Named First Team All-Region, All-County and team's Silver Slugger Award…Also a four-year letterman and senior captain of the football team…Two-time recipient of Raider Pride Award for exceptional character, integrity and kindness…Received Principal's Award as a junior and to the Chick-fil-A Leader Academy the past two years…Member of East Cobb Longhorns summer league team that won the Perfect Game-East Cobb Invitational…Son of Bill and Lisa Rowling.
• Stricklin on Rowling: "Henry is a big, strong left-handed hitter that can hit for a lot of power. He has very good discipline at the plate and can hit to all fields. He is a very tough competitor that works very hard. I can see him hitting in the middle of the batting order here at UGA."
Bo Tucker (6-4, 205, L-L, LHP, Rome, Ga.) - Attends Rome High School where he plays for Mike Dougherty…Posted a 2-3 mark, two saves, a 2.44 ERA, 36 strikeouts in 22 innings and hit .366 with 18 RBI and 13 stolen bases for the Wolves as a junior…Team went 14-12…Named All-Area and All-Region…Also a three-year letterman in football and earned Scholar-Athlete Award…Son of Lori and Brian Bridges.
• Stricklin on Tucker: "Bo is a very strong and physical left-handed pitcher that we project to be an impact pitcher for us. He has a lot of upside and will only get better as he develops. He has a very good feel for pitching and throws three pitches for strikes."