Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
October 31, 2010
Southern Miss Football Report
Southern Miss Football Report Oct. 31, 2010
Record 5-3, 2-2 C-USA
L, 50-49 (2 OT), UAB (Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, Miss./26,415)
Nov. 6 at Tulane (Louisiana Superdome/69,703/New Orleans, La.), 2:30 pm CT (Cox Sports Television/Paul Crane, play-by-play; Victor Howell, analysis; Eric Richey, sidelines)
Player of the Week Nominations
Kelvin Bolden, WR, 6-0, 161, Jr., Ocean Springs, Miss.
Bolden tallied a career-high 10 catches for the Golden Eagles with 132 yards and a touchdown. His touchdown grab of eight yards came with 28 seconds to go in the contest which sent the game into overtime. Bolden's longest catch of the day was 30 yards and he had seven receptions for at least 10 yards. Six of his 10 catches came on either third or fourth down which either accounted for a first down or his touchdown which was a fourth-down play. It was his second consecutive 100-yard receiving game and he is averaging nine catches for 143 yards over the last two games.
* The Golden Eagles played their ninth overtime game all-time in their double OT loss at home to UAB. It was the second time the two teams have played into overtime, the first time - a double OT affair - in the series' first game in Birmingham in which the Golden Eagles won 33-30 on Nov. 11, 2000. Southern Miss, which is now 4-5 all-time in overtime games, are 1-3 in games that took two OTs to finish. The last OT contest for the Golden Eagles was a 30-27 victory over Troy in the 2008 New Orleans Bowl.
* Daniel Hrapmann, which was named a Lou Groza semifinalist last Friday, continued his stellar season place kicking by hitting a pair of field goals and five extra points. One of his field goals came from 54 yards, which tied for the third-longest field goal in school history. His 18 field goals are second most made in a season at the school, trailing only Darren McCaleb who converted 23 in 2005.
* Along with Bolden's day, senior TE Johdrick Morris caught nine passes for 135 yards, marking just the third time that two receivers had 100-yard games and the first since Todd Pinkston (110) and Sherrod Gideon (107) did it in 1998 against Memphis.
* Redshirt freshman Kendrick Hardy tallied his second straight 100-yard rushing performance - and second of his career - with 147 yards against UAB. It is the most rushing yards by a Golden Eagle rusher since Damion Fletcher tallied 260 against UTEP on Oct. 4, 2008.
* Austin Davis threw for a season-best 388 yards, the fourth-most passing yards in school history in a game, and now has four 300-yard passing games, tying Brett Favre for the most by a Golden Eagle for a career. It also was the fourth time Davis has accumulated 30 completions in a career. No other Golden Eagle QB has every achieved 30 completions in a contest.
* The Golden Eagle defense forced three more interceptions and the team now has collected 11 on the season. Korey Williams tallied a season-best 16 tackles in the contest.
* Southern Miss now takes to the road for three of its final four regular-season contests starting this week at Tulane.
* The Golden Eagles have won the last five meetings with the Green Wave and are 10-4 in games played in the Louisiana Superdome.