September 17, 2008
Deacons getting healthy
The Wake Forest Demon Deacons are gearing up for their top-25 showdown in Tallahassee this weekend. After having last weekend off, the Deacs appear to be regaining their health and should be in good shape on Saturday.
Where: Doc Martin Football Practice Complex
Weather: Sunny, warm, light breeze
What they wore: Shorts, shoulder pads, helmets
Quick hits from practice:
- Michael Williams (#24) had a beautiful interception today off Riley Skinner.
- The offensive line was very physical today during their individual drills in preparation for a very athletic and physical Seminole front seven.
- The wide receivers worked on downfield blocking for the majority of their individual period.
- Sam Swank was bombing punts today like usual and he worked on field goals for about 45 minutes and didn't miss a single kick. His consistency from the 40-yard range was extremely impressive.
- The secondary focused on interceptions today and were doing drills were the quarterback would force it in and the defender would always have a good shot of at least getting a hand on it.
- Jordan Williams had an up-and-down day in team drills. He beat double coverage on a 60+ yard touchdown pass from Skinner to start off and then followed it up with a drop when he was wide open on an out route.
- Yloo Brown was back returning kicks with Alphonso Smith like usual except he did have trouble with one kickoff and ended up fumbling it out-of-bounds.
- As a whole, the team looks much healthier than they did after the Ole Miss game and look ready to go, especially Alphonso Smith. He appears to be back to form after a sprained neck hindered him against Ole Miss.
- A scout from the New Orleans Saints was at practice today (probably looking at Aaron Curry and Alphonso Smith).
- Saturday's weather in Tallahassee calls for rain. I think everyone remembers how Wake's last trip to FSU in the rain worked out.
Deacons Illustrated is the premiere site for Wake Forest recruiting and athletics information.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial